[linux-elitists] elite imapd?

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Sat Nov 11 09:35:03 PST 2000

Don Marti wrote:

> I did an apt-get install imap and got Debian's "default" imapd working
> with no fuss, since it looks for standard un*x mailboxes in the user's
> home directory, and I have standard un*x mailboxes in $HOME/Mail.
> Easy. Of course I did the hosts.allow thing to only allow access from
> localhost, and use it over an ssh tunnel. Works great; much faster than
> ssh-ing in.
>
> Here's the question. It turns out to be copyright by the University of
> Washington. Does using UW software make me lame? Is courier-imap more
> elite?

Yes, UW software makes you lame (except for pico ;-)). Mostly because
there are known overflow exploits for UW imapd that the UW development
team refuses to fix. "You should use stackguard." Bah. See:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/4/18/32049/2271

I hear good things about Cyrus imapd.

--R

> --
> Don Marti                                This email brought to you
> dmarti@zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/                  operator XOR.
> whois DM683     Software patent reform now: http://burnallgifs.org/

    Rusty Foster            "Salmon and gas station attendants haven't
  rusty@kuro5hin.org         been at war since 1972."
  rusty@zelerate.org                     --The Brunching Shuttlecocks
http://www.kuro5hin.org