[linux-elitists] In honor of Transmeta...

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Nov 7 12:45:52 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> - The "no issuing voluminous employee manuals because your
>   lawyers convinced you that everyone who works for you is
>   litigious scum" period.  (Every startup.)

And no lying to the judge that one never had an employee manual when one
did.

> - The "no making talented employees shut up and go away because
>   they make the investors nervous" period.

And no firing them for talking to the auditors or reporting violations of
federal law in the workplace.

> - The "no hiring overpriced outside firms to do a web site
>   that's hard to change because all the text is GIFs" period.
>   (A lot of our clients, when I was in the web business, I
>   admit.)

No hiring EDS to design your database when you've turned down resumes of
talented, local, and less expensive database folk.

> - The "no replacing working homebrew systems with expensive
>   flaky proprietary ones just because you have money to
>   burn" period.  (best.com nearly died because they tried
>   to replace FreeBSD with proprietary Un*x boxes -- going
>   back to FreeBSD saved them.)

And no behind-closed-doors technical discussions of munging email
headers to hide the fact that some people in the firm DO use Windows.

(and yes, I've seen all of these)

"You had thesaurus flakes for breakfast again, didn't you?"
                                                 -- Eric Williams