[linux-elitists] Image blocking coverup?

Tue May 9 16:29:52 PDT 2000

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:14:29PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:15:44PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:

[...]

> > 2) I really don't have a lot of problems with advertisements however,
> > I do get really upset with cross site tracking and web bugs.
>
> Define "web bugs".

Ok, found it at /.:

http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/privacy/wbfaq.htm

     A Web Bug is a graphics on a Web page or in an Email message
     that is designed to monitor who is reading the Web page or Email
     message. Web Bugs are often invisible because they are typically
     only 1-by-1 pixel in size.  They are represented as HTML IMG tags.

Yeah, I was aware of the technique, but not the name.  YAR not to open
HTML-formatted email spam.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/