[linux-elitists] AOL subverts Mozilla privacy feature.

Mon May 8 20:34:37 PDT 2000

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 05:46:02PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:
> > * Built-in support for cookie exchange
>
> What is cookie exchange? If it is what I think it is that is a cool
> idea. Point your browser at someone else's browser or a server or
> something and your keys get swapped with someone else. Confuses the
> hell out of the people trying to track people. Bad information is
> worse than good information.
>
> Here is are some new ones to add:

Though the point is taken that these are suggestions for browser, not
add-on, functionality, I believe serveral are provided by Junkbuster and
other proxies, or other means.

> * Never set referer field.
> * Set referer field to a constant.

Both:  Junkbuster?

> * Don't animate any images.

Try the Gif Animation Toggle.  You run it against the application
binary, it removes the string that signals animation and replaces it
with another.  I run this against all my installs of Netscape.

...Hmmm...  This seems to have disappeared from online, though there's
an obscure pointer to it at the Junkbuster FAQ.

> * Link mozilla with NMAP and print the OS of the server on the status bar.
>   (don't do business with a company that runs NT? / Demonstrate how pervasive
>   different OS's are.)

;-)  I like.