[linux-elitists] AOL subverts Mozilla privacy feature.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon May 8 10:52:24 PDT 2000

Quoting Ben Woodard (ben@valinux.com):

> This clearly illustrates how AOL is willing and able to use its power
> within the mozilla community to subvert the interests of the public.
> Me thinks a protest is in order.

"Protest".  Hmm, I've heard of those things, except, where I come from,
we call them "public admissions of powerlessness".

My point:  At the right time, later in Mozilla's development cycle, a
bunch of developers should consider stepping in, forking the codebase,
taking out any AOL-specific cruft, ensuring that it has uncompromised
strong crypto, and restoring/beefing up the internal privacy protection.

That could be done now, but would almost certainly be too much work,
at this point.  Until then, Mozilla users will obviously need Squid,
mod_rewrite, or Junkbuster.

--
Cheers,        "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti