[linux-elitists] Shopping list

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri May 5 08:50:06 PDT 2000

> Bruce O. Benson writes:
>
>  > ...It has to be elite 'cause nobody uses ATM.  And OC-12 to the desktop
>  > makes you the LPB.  The switch costs some real elite coin, too.
>
> What's wrong with 3x-4x channel bonded full-duplex FastEthernet? Sure,
> not 3l33t enough.

Bonded ether's more 3L337, I think.  Requires k00l nU kernel features.
Thus a KL00ful sort who compiles their own kernels.  Also more hackerly
to do this sort of thing from spare bedroom parts.

If you actually solder together your own ethernet cards, write your own
firmware for it, and the result is faster than at least one card already
in the supported list, plus you wheedle your college buddy to do the kernel
module during his boring lectures, and it's debugged in less than a week,
ok, -now- I'm impressed.  But you don't get points unless you also open
source it.

* Heather
  simple system that works.