[linux-elitists] Shopping list

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu May 4 00:02:37 PDT 2000

> I'm putting together a medium-deluxe Linux box for my home office, have
> decided to take a toy-warrior overkill approach this time, and would
> like to bounce some hardware ideas off the local elitists.
>
> First of all, the easy decision, the case.  Deluxe Chrome Tower:
> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/enclosures/professional/pro_towers/
> That's 47 pounds of component-cooling, many-drive-bay-having,
> capacious black and chrome badassitude.
>
> Also PC Power and Cooling for the power supply -- Silencer 275 ATX.
>
> Now for the controversial stuff.
>
> CPU:         AMD Athlon, whatever speed has the price break this
>              week.

The newer kernels, either 2.2.15pre (19-20) or 2.3.99-preFoo can be compiled
directly for Athlon support.  Rock on.

> Motherboard: Abit KA7
>
> RAM:         128 or 256 MB PC133 CAS-2 SDRAM
>
> (Rick Moen told me some important facts related to the "CAS-2"
> designation for RAM, and I haven't done my follow-up reading. Minus
> elitist points for me.)

Designation looks like it runs 133 Mhz on the motherboard bus.  Check the
docs for your momboard that it can use such, as some will -only- speak to
100 MHz bus-speed memory chips.

> SCSI card:   Adaptec 2940UW

'k

> SCSI drives: IBM of course -- one 18.2GB, heinously fast and hot,
>              or two 9.1GB 7200rpm drives?  I wonder.

With SCSI's bus detach abilities, the more spindles the merrier.  On the
other tentacle, why so small?  Disc Drive Depot still has those 47 MB monsters
last time I was over there -- they may not be IBM but... :D

> Video cards: 2 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 (1 AGP, 1 PCI)
>              (I have two monitors and a friend at 3dfx tells me that
>              you can do Xinerama across 2 Voodoo3s.)

Once upon a time you had to think we were pretty scorched on these but now
they are one of the few well supported hot-stuff video cards at this point.
ATI can't even decide which BIOS to have for breakfast.  Rock on.

> Sound card:  Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Platinum

'k

-*- <-- not paying enough attention to Creative Labs to tell what forms of
        coolness are supported or not.  Minus elite points for me.  That's
        okay.  I plan to be making them up in spades soon.

> Ethernet:    Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100

Not that I really believe you would, but if you're thinking of it for a dual
boot Linux + redmond-beastie you'd be much better off with something whose
MSwin drivers have only one flavor -and- work...  When I was at Ricoh, we
had these as "the standard" and had to stop using 'em in MSwin boxen for
this reason!  6 drivers, of which ONLY ONE works!  Argh, welcome to windoze :P

Whereas FreeBSD and Linux have supported this for ages.  But really, the SMC
family are sturdier cards ("older" ones used the still well-regarded Tulip
chipset, and the new ones are well supported) - some Kingston cards are also
using Tulip - and of course, there's Netgear :)  Is there some reason you
wanted a hot-stuff machine but boring ethernet?

* Heather
  The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
  difference between lightning and the lightning bug.  -- Mark Twain