[linux-elitists] Introduction to Licensing, Part I: Unix vs. *n*x

Wed May 3 01:03:49 PDT 2000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:26:23AM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > Um.  Jay, there was a point to this?  Incomplete thought perhaps?
>
> It is about licensing and the large scale economic effects of which
> license is used.  Unix, the official trademarked Unix, is so feeble today
> that all their websites are non-existent, except for one which announces
> that the domain name is going to be auctioned on eBay starting 11 May
> 2000.

Ok.  Largely agreed.  Sometimes a bit of context helps.

OTOH, I think you'll find that IBM, SUN, SGI, SCO, and (/me scratches head),
hmmm...well, at least those four, have at least a modicum of Web
presence.

I'll grant that this probably proves your point vis-a-vis Unix
fragmenting and becoming secondary to brand.  OTOH, Linux is probably
better represented by companies benefitting by it -- RedHat, VA, Corel,
Caldera, etc. -- than any specifically named Linux site.  .org -- well,
I won't go there.  .com is the community site of a forward-thinking
Linux related company whose stock has recently turned around a bit.

The BSD's are in a slightly different position -- while Debian is the
exception in the Linux world (a free/volunteer distro), FreeBSD is the
exception in the BSD world, being tied to BSDI.  The other two BSDs are
volunteer projects entirely.

And, though it is too small to be contained in this email, I have a
marvellous proof of the hypothesis that Linux *will* supplant
proprietery Unixes.

Sic mind....

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself