[linux-elitists] Introduction to Licensing, Part I: Unix vs. *n*x

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Tue May 2 23:26:23 PDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Um.  Jay, there was a point to this?  Incomplete thought perhaps?

It is about licensing and the large scale economic effects of which
license is used.  Unix, the official trademarked Unix, is so feeble today
that all their websites are non-existent, except for one which announces
that the domain name is going to be auctioned on eBay starting 11 May
2000.

All the sites for Free *n*x, except one, are working websites today.
Many are visted by literally thousands of people every week.  The one that
is not yet working is backed by Atipa, and perhaps some other well funded
companies, and likely it will soon be getting several thousand hits a
week, at least.  The freely licensed *n*ces are thriving, while
trademarked non-free Unix has decayed to the point that the domain names
are not in use.

> Incidentally, anyone know what books *were* on http://www.unix.net/
> prior to the pants offing suit threat?

I do not know.