[linux-elitists] Shopping list

Michael Higashi mhigashi@hooked.net
Tue May 2 22:06:37 PDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> First of all, the easy decision, the case.  Deluxe Chrome Tower:
> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/enclosures/professional/pro_towers/
> That's 47 pounds of component-cooling, many-drive-bay-having,
> capacious black and chrome badassitude.

If you're going to send a message like this out to a bunch of geeks, you
should know we can make even the easiest decisions harder.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc200.html

13 pound aluminum case, 11 drive bays, with awesome cooling. Reviews at:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/cmatcs/cmatcs-1.html
http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=atcs&page=1

> Also PC Power and Cooling for the power supply -- Silencer 275 ATX.

They make the best power supplies around, but if you want to stuff a lot
of high performance goodies inside your case, you should step up to a
higher wattage power supply.

> SCSI card:   Adaptec 2940UW
>
> SCSI drives: IBM of course -- one 18.2GB, heinously fast and hot,
>              or two 9.1GB 7200rpm drives?  I wonder.

The price differential between the 2940UW and the 2940U2W (Ultra-2) host
adapters is only about 15%, small enough that you might as well go for the
Ultra-2 model. You can use that card with either UW or U2W drives.

Adaptec's newest models are the 29160 and 29160N, which supports 160MB/sec
transfers. The 29160 is a 64-bit PCI card, but is compatible with 32-bit
PCI slots. Which is good, since there are very few 64-bit PCI motherboards
out there. The 29160N is a 32-bit PCI card. You can use these cards with
Ultra-160, Ultra-2, or regular UW drives. If the price is right, one of
these would make a very good long-term investment in your hardware.

Mike

--
Michael Higashi
mhigashi@hooked.net