[linux-elitists] Protest on the steps of the Library of Congreee

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue May 2 10:38:06 PDT 2000

Just got a phone call from Jim Gleason, who along with a bunch of
other freedom-loving people is on the steps of the Library of Congress
protesting the evil Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Today, the US Copyright Office at the Library of Congress is holding
a Public Hearing on the topic of "Rulemaking on Exemptions from
Prohibition on Circumvention of Technological Measures that Control
Access to Copyrighted Works" -- in other words, will DMCA really
kill fair use as we know it, or will there be some exceptions to the
anti-circumvention parts of the law, which was
purchased from Congress by large media companies:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/1201/anticirc.html

Gathered with Jim are Eric Raymond, David Niemi of tux.org, Przemek
Klosowski of NOVALUG, and more people from NYLUG and NOVALUG. About 20
protestors total, wearing DeCSS shirts, holding "acquit Jon Johansen"
signs.  Johansen was interrogated by Norwegian police at the instructions
of US movie industry lawyers.

People walking by are receptive to the group's message. "The good news
is that there are a lot of people who are interested in learning about
it," Jim says. "This law could force them to watch DVD movies in a
certain way."

"The Library of Congress photographer was thrilled," Jim adds, since
it's a rare place to protest. Look for pictures of the protestors on
www.loc.gov soon.

Our people gave DeCSS shirts to one student group from Pottsville,
Pennsylvania, and somebody got a photo of them. The online and possibly
some conventional media  are there -- about 5 reporters total.

Jim says the trip down went smoothly -- two carpools and a group on the
train from New York.

Local DC and Virginia Linux user groups previously protested DMCA on
March 28th. "We did contact our Represetnatives in Congress and they
ignored us completely," Jim says.

Contact info for Jim:
  Jim Gleason
  email: jim@valinux.com