[linux-elitists] Cahoots

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Thu Jun 29 09:50:51 PDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 09:08:21AM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> So I've been hearing the ads for Cahoots's site (as probably many of you
> in the bay area have) and their sweepstakes. They really have some cool
> sounding prize options:
>
> http://www.cahoots.com/promotions/index.html
>
> (I would go for exploring the wreck of the Titanic myself)
>
> What I didn't find out until today when I visited their site was the terms
> of entering the contest: you have to download their proprietary software,
> register it and enter the sweepstakes using their software.
>
> Naturally, their software is only available on Windows.
>
> Basically, this violates the FTC requirements of no purchase required to
> enter as one IS required to purchase Windows.

Hate to say it, but look at this section of
http://www.cahoots.com/promotions/raregulations.html :

	Mail-in Method - Signatures Required:

      To enter by mail, on a 3" x 5" card in black or blue ink submit
      your name and the name of the person who is entering the
      Sweepstakes with you. For each, hand print full names, complete
      home addresses including zip codes, home telephone numbers
      with area codes, dates of birth, and email addresses, if any. At
      the bottom of the card, each person must draw a signature line,
      print their name below the line, and sign the card. Mail the card
      in a first class stamped envelope to: Cahoots Inc. "Get in
      Cahoots and Win" Sweepstakes, P.O. Box 8017, Grand Rapids,
      MN 55745-8017. Limit, one mail-in card per envelope. Mail-in
      entries must be postmarked during the Promotion Period and
      received no later than August 2, 2000.

So you don't really have to have a copy of Windows to enter.

Sorry.

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com