[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Wed Jun 28 14:56:38 PDT 2000

begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
> At least the Z80 crowd had a decent number of registers, *and* you
> could pair them (except the accumulator) to hold 16-bit quantities;
> we 6502 folk had to make do with an accumulator and two index
> registers...

	Yeah, but we had zero-page addressing.

	The 6502 was a pipelined 8-bit chip with variable-operand
instructions.  You could speed things up considerably by stripping off
the high byte of your addresses and working entirely in the bottom 256
bytes of RAM.  Most games used this area for heavily-accessed state.

Pigdog.Org      - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future
                You are not entitled to your opinions.