[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Tue Jun 27 11:27:38 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 11:23:30AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin  Marc MERLIN quotation of Tue, Jun 27, 02000 at 10:47:31AM -0700:
>
> > So what? Intel will patch registers to be 36 bits and last a bit longer...
> > (Oh yeah, they'll also declare than from now on, an int is really 36 bits)
>
> A bit longer? Thank you for taking the long view and not letting the
> corporate culture force you into the quarter-by-quarter rush to local
> maxima that leads to long-term extinction. Speaking of the long view,

Did I  say I  agreed? Of course going  to 36 bits  is completely  stupid, if
you're going to step up, step up to 64 bits.
However, as you  know, intel has gone  to 36 bit addressing to  break the 4G
line, instead of going to 64 bit addressing...

> No, that's good.  We want people never to make assumptions about the
> size of an int (or any data type for that matter.)  It only makes it
> harder to port software.  http://www.advogato.org/article/97.html
> is good, I think.

True, but I don't want to be the guy to patch all that OSS software out
there :-)

Marc

Finger marc_f@merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information