[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Jun 27 11:23:30 PDT 2000

begin  Marc MERLIN quotation of Tue, Jun 27, 02000 at 10:47:31AM -0700:

> So what? Intel will patch registers to be 36 bits and last a bit longer...
> (Oh yeah, they'll also declare than from now on, an int is really 36 bits)

A bit longer? Thank you for taking the long view and not letting the
corporate culture force you into the quarter-by-quarter rush to local
maxima that leads to long-term extinction. Speaking of the long view,
I should open a stock exchange where each stock is traded only one day
every five years.

> :-(

No, that's good.  We want people never to make assumptions about the
size of an int (or any data type for that matter.)  It only makes it
harder to port software.  http://www.advogato.org/article/97.html
is good, I think.

Intel CPUs are more complex than they need to be in order to preserve
binary compatibility with older Intel products. The additional
complexity uses additional electricity. Binary compatibility must be
preserved because of proprietary software that the user cannot easily
recompile for a new architecture. Therefore proprietary software is
a waste of electricity and causes global warming. Hmmm, how to get
Richard Stallman and Amory Lovins in a room together and tape their
conversation...

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to