[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Steve Beattie steve@wirex.net
Tue Jun 27 10:13:10 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 07:56:32AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
> >
> > 	i386 doesn't even have an "executable" attribute for memory
> > pages, which is why we all can't have non-executable stacks the way
> > that suns and macs can.
>
> Ahh, but we can, there is at least one commercial and at least one non
> commercial implementation I know of for us.

To which commercial implementation of a non-executable stack for x86 are
you referring? The only major commercial non-executable stack
implementation I'm aware of is Solaris for Sparc/UltraSparc, and Casper
Dik keeps ranting on Bugtraq about how it's impossible to do it on x86.

As one of the developers of a competitive (and complementary IMHO)
technology, I'm always interested in knowing what others are doing,
which is why I ask.

And, let me second Solar's patch. While it seems easier to get around
than StackGuard, I've been running machines with both for a year and a
half.

--
Steve Beattie                                  Don't trust programmers?
<steve@wirex.net>                            Complete StackGuard distro at