[linux-elitists] LinuxPPC and G4 Power Macintosh

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Tue Jun 27 09:27:13 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:07:27PM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> No, the earlier USB implementation was using Inaky Perez Gonzales' code
> and the later used another implementation.

Inaky's stack was nice, but a big tough beast to write new drivers for.
Linus saw this, came out with a very tiny host controller + mouse driver
for USB which a bunch of people looked at and said, "Hey, this is easy, I
can write a new driver pretty simply." Then lots of people started beating
on the stack. Inaky abanonded his effort (hopefully getting his Masters
Degree in the process) and now we finally have a USB stack that is
probably just as complex and difficult to write a driver for as his
original one :)

But at least a bunch of different people are working on it. And it
supports more devices...

Anyway, isn't the rule to throw away the first implementation and redo it
all from scratch again (or is to laugh in the face of danger...I never
remember it...)

greg k-h
--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com