[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Jun 27 07:56:32 PDT 2000

> begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
> > Hmm... the last time I saw a bus error was when Netscape loaded a
> > bogus plugin, but of course it was almost certainly pure
> > coincidence; I was due a nice solid crash anyway.
>
> 	There are very few conditions that will cause a bus error on
> i386 srchitecture.  i386 isn't particularly alignment-picky, which is
> the typical reason that bus errors occur on most architectures.
>
> 	Bus errors are particularly Unixy because Unix has run mainly
> on very fussy RISC chips in the past ten years or so.

In this case it's I/O bus, not memory bus;  the input events stack is
particularly unhappy with the combo of my abuse of Virtual Consoles and
the X console vis-a-vis netscape's slipperiness regarding which app has
the mouse.

> 	i386 doesn't even have an "executable" attribute for memory
> pages, which is why we all can't have non-executable stacks the way
> that suns and macs can.

Ahh, but we can, there is at least one commercial and at least one non
commercial implementation I know of for us.  Admitted, our cheapo hardware
isn't able to help out.  But we needn't let that stop us.

Hit google with keyword "Solar Designer" - you'll find it in no time.  Jim's
been running with his patches in for a while.

> 	I'm an eager beneficiary counting the days until the i386's
> wake.

Wait for time_t to wrap...

* Heather * Established technology tends to persist in the face of new
            technology.  -- G. Blaauw, one of the designers of System 360