[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Jun 26 22:00:20 PDT 2000

begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
> Hmm... the last time I saw a bus error was when Netscape loaded a
> bogus plugin, but of course it was almost certainly pure
> coincidence; I was due a nice solid crash anyway.

	There are very few conditions that will cause a bus error on
i386 srchitecture.  i386 isn't particularly alignment-picky, which is
the typical reason that bus errors occur on most architectures.

	Bus errors are particularly Unixy because Unix has run mainly
on very fussy RISC chips in the past ten years or so.

	i386 doesn't even have an "executable" attribute for memory
pages, which is why we all can't have non-executable stacks the way
that suns and macs can.

	I'm an eager beneficiary counting the days until the i386's
wake.

Pigdog.Org      - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future
                You are not entitled to your opinions.