[linux-elitists] LinuxPPC and G4 Power Macintosh

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon Jun 26 19:05:40 PDT 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Justin Cheung wrote:

> Does anyone on the list use LinuxPPC on a G4 Power Macintosh?

I use it on a G3. I know someone was installing it on a G4 last weekend.

Also, virtually the entire time I worked at Linuxcare, I used a G3 as my
desktop box.

> If so, how does it compare speedwise with other
> hardware/software combinations that you've used.

My only complaint about it is that certain things aren't able to compile
against Motif and are compiled against the significantly-less-stable
Lesstif. Nedit and Netscape are the two biggest issues.

As far as performance, quite good. The speed problem was with having to
use a frame buffer, but I understand that's no longer necessary for that
video card (ATI Rage 128). I haven't changed my system though. The USB
support is pretty darn good, but I switched the "style" of USB I was using
and that wreaked some havoc.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti