[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Jun 26 16:16:29 PDT 2000

> begin  Heather quotation:
>
> > I kind of like ee, I think I'll be installing it for newbies regularly
> > since I found it a couple of months ago.  ae, on the other hand, is so
> > annoying I rip it out of debian installs as soon as I have just about
> > any other editor to hand.  I'd almost prefer ex.
>
> Having fans of various editors on my system, I have the following
> installed to keep everyone happy:

(I haven't tried sam or wily, how are they?)

> > jstar isn't -my- cup of tea, but if someone else wants to use jpico,
> > at least I can use jstar instead and muddle on through.
>
> For the benefit of those who aren't familar with these, they are modes
> of the "joe" package, emulating WordStar and pico.  "joe" also has a
> jmacs mode, which is yet another GNU emacs imitation in 1/10 the size.
>
> > okay, maybe I care a little bit.  Offered original vi, and ce, I'd
> > definitely use vi.
>
> What's ce, by the way?

Compact Emacs.  It's a emacs-alike that comes on Tom's RtBt.  But Tom Oehser
didn't write it, he got it from elsewhere.

> > Now for the graphical version of the editor-of-the-week-club, I enjoy the
> > interface on Nedit, but it has a really weirdshit license.
>
> Still?  That's too bad.  I notice that Debian still has it in non-free,
> even though it's now linked against lesstif, rather than Motif.
>
> > Coral, Gedit, and Kedit probably all want to be it when they grow up.
>
> I don't have any X editors installed on my system (which is a headless
> server), which is mildly shortsided given that I have xlibs installed,
> and thus _some_ users might wish to run such, tunnelled over ssh.  I'll
> have to think about that.

Just cuz your users might want to do it, doesn't mean you have to let them.
What forced the xlibs aboard?

btw, xlib has an input bug in it, that has finally had the nail put in its
coffin.  So fetch ye a fresh build from CVS today, and shoot down the evil
"bus error" class of core dump forever :)

> > I haven't encountered an enjoyable hex editor yet, but I haven't
> > looked very hard either;
>
> I take it you've looked at beav and hexedit, and been unimpressed?  I've
> not had occasion to use them; I just have them installed.

I barely looked at hexedit but it just didn't do it for me.  I was in a rush
though, maybe it's improved.  Haven't tried beav. (yet)

* Heather * Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have
            done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony
            of a decorous age.  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson