[linux-elitists] stale jokes and pico dissing

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sat Jun 24 16:33:44 PDT 2000

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Justin Cheung wrote:

> The dissing of pine and pico is getting quite old.  Jens Sorenson
> tried to offend everyone in his "kernel programming" tutorial by
> continually dissing every text editor and mail reader out there.  It
> was funny the first 300 times we all heard it.

Well, it's such a pseudo-elite thing to do. It makes the person feel
superior, while showing them off for the glaring asshole they really are.

> What is wrong with pine & pico?

Nothing. The license isn't truly open source, but I don't hear
netscape-bashing on the same level as pico or pine.

> I use pico for writing html and short scripts, and pine is decent.
> When i want to teach someone who is not good with Linux and command
> line, i show them pico and pine because they are intuitive and
> idiot-proof.  no need for the vi "tutorial" or wasting money on a
> textbook to cover emacs or some of the more obscure and clumsy
> editors.

I use nedit for most longer stuff. I *can* use vi, but I've never been an
emacs user, though I know some of the key bindings from using bash of
course.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti