[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun Jun 25 01:24:33 PDT 2000

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Heather wrote:

> Being the synthesist that I am, I mostly don't *care* ... but I don't use
> what gets me lost.

Yeah, I don't especially care.

> Which means I don't use pico, because I have worse luck figuring it
> out than emacs.  Maybe I'm broken.  But emacs is kind of mind warping
> (besides being the kitchen sink) and most of my *computers* care about
> the memory needs.

I use pico for *mail*, but I don't use it much for other stuff. I'm just
as likely to use sed. :)

If the email requires complex formatting (stuff that's painful in pico),
I'll postpone it, launch nedit, edit the file, and unpostpone it in pine.

That said, I do also use vi, especially on rockopper (this machine I'm
typing on) as, despite Rick's protestations, I don't have pico installed.
It is included as a part of pine, but it doesn't exist outside that
context.

For anything more than a couple of lines, I find vi annoying as hell and
will resort to nedit,  even if it means sshing to localhost to use the X
session as root.

> Now for the graphical version of the editor-of-the-week-club, I enjoy
> the interface on Nedit, but it has a really weirdshit license.

That it does.

> Coral, Gedit, and Kedit probably all want to be it when they grow up.
> I haven't encountered an enjoyable hex editor yet, but I haven't
> looked very hard either; I'm sure someone must have reimplemented SPF
> on Linux by now.

Nedit reminds me most of BBEdit, the best text editor I've ever used.
Eddie (on BeOS) is a close second and, I must admit, after Nedit, xemacs
comes closest on Linux. I don't like the *overhead* of xemacs though.

For what it's worth, I started way back when on what is basically ed. I
value my life more than that now.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti