[linux-elitists] Hm, editor wars

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Sun Jun 25 17:39:02 PDT 2000

Heather wrote:

> > > Now for the graphical version of the editor-of-the-week-club, I enjoy the
> > > interface on Nedit, but it has a really weirdshit license.
> >
> > The GPL? Look at http://www.nedit.org/
> >
> > --R, Nedit freak :-)
>
> It wasn't up until now ... www.nedit.org/about/license.shtml states:

It's been up for a while. I even ran a story about it on K5 in April:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/4/2/152731/1004

>    Version 5.1 is the first release of NEdit under the GNU General Public
>    License, and the first release to be done entirely by volunteer
>    effort.
>
> The weirdshit license I was referring to, is the old one, which was in the
> Debian tree.  Now I have to go see if unstable has nedit 5.1 moved into its
> main branch.  So, you're running 5.1 I assume?  what sort of headaches did
> you encounter when upgrading?  Any fave macros we can enjoy?

Actually, I had a lot of trouble with the new version, initially, but I
think it's because I compiled it against LessTif, whereas before I had
been running the statically-linked Motif binaries. There were also a
bunch of features added, and a whole new set of developers. So the
transition isn't all that smooth. But later releases have fixed most of
the problems-- it's still a little sketchy on input sometimes.

For a while, I had a nice little perl thing running that would basically
make it act like you were editing from a remote server (ftp/cvs). Ctrl+S
saved locally, and Ctrl+U saved to a remote machine. There were problems
with the scripting handler though, and it would sometimes bomb out for
no obvious reason, and crash the editor. I ought to try rewriting that
now that it's Free software.

In general, though, I'm too lazy to make macros. If you need a macro to
do it, you're probably doing it wrong anyway. :-)

--R