[linux-elitists] Meeting space (was: Party at the CABAL 6/24)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 25 09:54:53 PDT 2000

[linux-elitists added to distribution]

begin  Heather quotation:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Michael Higashi wrote:
>
>> With Richard Couture moving out of 744 Harrison Street by July 19th,
>> tomorrow's CABAL meeting sounds like a good date for a party.
>> Although we can have a CABAL meeting on July 8, by that date all of
>> the restaurant furnishings in the CoffeeNet will be gone, including
>> the sink, the toilet, the water heater...
>>
>> Richard's already stocked the refrigerator with sodas and bottled
>> water.  If you'd like to bring something to eat, or perhaps something
>> alcoholic to drink, please do.
>
> I need to know where the Augusta Ada shuttle meeting will be able to
> be hosted... that is to say, where is LinuxCabal moving *to* and will
> it be established there by the Third Friday (July 21) ?  Is the
> building remaining the LinuxCabal and the coffeeshop moving?  or what?

Heather --

Sorry you and Jim couldn't make it, last night.  As I understand it,
things will proceed in stages.  The LinuxCabal colocated machines will
first go into the immediately adjoining space next door, in the Korean
nightclub just west of 744 Harrison.  That is, immediately on the other
side of the dividing wall, there is a storage corridor that the club
has agreed to let Richard (and thus LinuxCabal) use for the necessary
rows of machines for a while.  The advantage of that is that the
existing sDSL lines can just be redirected to the other side of the wall
with essentially no interruption in service.

About the same time, Richard will be moving all of his personal gear
into smaller, temporary quarters somewhere on Potrero Hill (if I heard
correctly, last night), and (some of?) the restaurant equipment will go
into storage.

Richard is trying to arrange a lease on a building at 3rd and 24th
Streets, somewhat larger (4,000 ft^2) than the 744 Harrison building,
where he could live, open the new CoffeeNet, and host some tenants so as
to be able to justify the higher rent.  Whether Richard will actually
get that building, or on what date, cannot be determined.

Thus, for the next month or so, groups that have met at 744 Harrison
need to have meeting space elsewhere.  CABAL will probably have its next
few meetings at my house in west Menlo Park (address, map, and
directions at http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/).  This is admittedly
sub-optimal, since most current attendees are in S.F.  The best public
transportation to here is CalTrain, whose Menlo Park station is 2 miles
east.  I propose to offer car transportation to and from.

On the plus side, my house is comfortable albeit small-ish, with plenty
of connectivity, hubs, and a full Debian mirror on-site.  The weather is
usually very nice, and there is expansion room on our tree-shaded back
patio for machines and visiting Linux folk.  And we can do barbecue in
the evenings.

Since I've kept a record of 744 Harrison-related news at my personal
FAQ page (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/), I'll be updating it shortly
to reflect that information, and will be glad to include any Shuttle
Augusta Ada plans.

When and if Richard negotiates a new long-term residence with adequate
space, probably LinuxCabal will settle in, there, and CABAL will accept
Richard's gracious standing offer to use meeting space, there.  But we
won't know when and where, for a while.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.