[linux-elitists] Domain name registrar for BOFHs?

Mon Jun 19 08:20:29 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 01:45:19AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

Y'know, I really wish people would provide some *detail* when they post
<vbg>.

> begin  Doc Searls quotation:
>
> > My cheapest and therefore best registration experience was with a
> > service Tucows had where they charged me $10. I think this is now
> > DomainDirect.com, which is not so cheap.

[...]

> Who runs the root servers?
>
> There are 13 of them.  About half are USG-maintained.
>
> A-ROOT-SERVERS.NET NSF-NSI, Herndon, VA (Network Solutions, Inc.)

[other roots snipped]

> Those ultimately define standard, consensus DNS.  Registries outside
> that system include AlterNIC (http://www.alternic.net/) and eDNS
> (http://www.edns.net/).  USG policy opposes creation of competing
> root-authority systems, but these outside registries are outside its
> authority.

FWIW, http://www.alternic.net/ is pingable, but doesn't respond at port
80.  http://www.edns.net/ brings up, of all things, a domain name
registration page.