[linux-elitists] Patent Public Advisory Committee

Joseph S. Arruda joseph@valinux.com
Fri Jul 21 23:51:09 PDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Seth David Schoen wrote:
<deletia>
> Don Marti writes:
>
> > The final selections for the Patent Public Advisory Committee are up.> >
> > http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/speeches/00-43.htm
<deletia>

> Nobody with an evident interest in weakening or stopping the expansion
> of intellectual property law is on the list.

While unfortunate, this is not (and I would think should not be)
surprising.

Mossinghoff is the only name I recognize, and if he is an indicator,
this does not look good.

> How does a government office manage to appoint an advisory committee
> with members who all have a co-inciding interest in expanding that
> agency's regulatory powers?

That should be somewhat obvious.  Those that 'benefit' from the status
quo, often have no incentive to change it.  A friend of mine at the State
Department refers to it as 'cronyism writ large'

Joseph E. Arruda     		 | z@valinux.com
VA Linux Systems, Inc.		 | www.valinux.com
Liegelord of Random Projects	 | www.linux.com
1.408.744.1900 x5730 		 | on.openprojects.net