[linux-elitists] Patent Public Advisory Committee

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri Jul 21 23:37:02 PDT 2000

Don Marti writes:

> The final selections for the Patent Public Advisory Committee are up.
>
> http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/speeches/00-43.htm
>
> Nobody I know is on the list.

Nobody with an evident interest in weakening or stopping the expansion
of intellectual property law is on the list.

How does a government office manage to appoint an advisory committee
with members who all have a co-inciding interest in expanding that
agency's regulatory powers?

What percentage of Americans are ever paid license or royalty fees for
their exclusive rights under copyright or patent law?

What percentage of Americans ever benefit from sharing information,
expression, or useful knowledge with somebody else?

None of the virtuous pagans in Limbo in Dante's _Inferno_ ever enjoyed
copyright or patent protection for their work, but their names still
get carved on public buildings like the Boston Public Library (which
now uses censorware), where I'll be next weekend.  Obviously somebody,
and not just Dante, thinks they're pretty cool; I wonder if they would
be eligible for patent advisory committee membership.