[linux-elitists] yesmail.com spammer sues MAPS RBL (fwd)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 17 10:56:47 PDT 2000

begin  Heather quotation of Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 08:59:47AM -0700:

> ----- Forwarded message from Ian Kluft -----

> If you've been using the MAPS RBL to filter for spam, you'll probably want
> to add an explicit filter against yesmail.com.  They just won a temporary
> restraining order (expires Aug 2) against MAPS RBL (the Mail Abuse Prevention
> System's Realtime Blackhole List, a.k.a. mail-abuse.org.)

Yesmail apparently does not intentionally send UCE, but does add people
to a mailing list without confirmation. In Paul Vixie's opinion,
running an opt-in list without requiring confirmation is network abuse:
http://mail-abuse.org/manage.html

Scenario A
1. Yesmail gets on the RBL, then complains because they're not a real
   spammer.
2. Paul Vixie tell them to stop whining and change their list policy.
3. Yesmail whines some more and finally talks with Paul Vixie and
   changes their policy to require confirm.
4. Yesmail gets off the RBL.  All RBL sites start getting Yesmail mail
   again.

Scenario B
1. Yesmail gets on the RBL, then complains because they're not a real
   spammer.
2. Paul Vixie tell them to stop whining and change their list policy.
3. Yesmail gets a restraining order against the MAPS RBL.
4. The highly publicized restraining order makes even people who don't
   subscribe to the RBL block Yesmail.
5. Yesmail changes their list policy to require confirmation, after
   getting sick of bounces and complaints to "abuse".
6. A lot of people leave Yesmail in their block list because they
   either forgot it's there or just want to punish them for being all
   litigious and shit.

Yesmail has chosen Scenario B. They will regret it.

BTW, Yesmail is a CMGI company, and CMGI also owns Internet advertisers
1stUp.com, AdForce, Engage, and OneMediaPlace.  I wish we could get
CMGI and Doubleclick to like, fight.

Yesmail also has a DNS configuration that doesn't exactly get the
Rick Moen Seal of Approval:

  Domain servers in listed order:

  DENGAR.YESMAIL.NET           64.37.207.116
  ZUCKUSS.YESMAIL.NET          64.37.207.117

If you would like to contribute to the MAPS RBL Legal Defense Fund, send
mail to: hostmaster@mail-abuse.org

I might as well add a Postfix question here.  I added the line

yesmail.com REJECT

to /etc/postfix/access, then did a
 postmap dbm:access

to create /etc/postfix/access.db, then added this line to /etc/postfix/main.cf:

check_sender_access = dbm:/etc/postfix/access.db

I'm still able to send mail to myself by telnet to port 25 with an SMTP
From: of postmaster@yesmail.com -- any Postfix antispam experts around?

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to