[linux-elitists] Courtney Love article in Salon

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri Jul 14 09:55:21 PDT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> "Courtney Love Does the Math"
> http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/
>
> I've never read anything Ms. Love has written before, but this piece
> gets my respect.  It's probably the most thoughtful and articulate
> piece on Napster, the RIAA, and the music "industry" you'll hope to
> see for a long time.

To bring this into the Linux arena somewhat, software *cannot* be a work
made for hire (unless you do it with in the scope of employment). There is
a supreme court ruling that only those items explicitly enumerated in the
copyright act can be works made for hire:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&linkurl=<%LINKURL%>&graphurl=<%GRAPHURL%>&court=US&case=/us/490/730.html

"Trust me, I'm a science fiction writer" -- Larry Niven @ Conolulu