[linux-elitists] DVDs, circumvention

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Jul 14 00:07:56 PDT 2000

Isn't it thoughtful of them to schedule the New York DVD trial at
the same time as the HOPE (Hackers on Planet Earth) convention
in New York?  Announcement appended, and here's a flyer:
http://www.columbia.edu/~mlc67/

Thanks to DMCA, much of what we would consider Real Hacking is now
criminal. Meanwhile, hooray for circumvention in action in Mexico:
http://www.narconews.com/crackthecode.html If that doesn't get the
Mexican government to Todd's "Intellectual" Property" conference nothing
will. (Got the link from Politech.)

----- Forwarded message from Jay Sulzberger <jays@panix.com> -----

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jay Sulzberger <jays@panix.com>
Subject: [nylug-talk] Big Demonstration for Freedom and Property Rights
To: nylug-talk@electriclichen.com
Cc: Jay Sulzberger <jays@panix.com>

Sachems, grandmothers, and hackers of all ages have obtained a
New York City Official Media Event Permit to peacefully assemble for the
redress of wrongs.

Monday 17 July 2000
10:30 am to 5:00 pm
Court Yard of the Federal Court
500 Pearl Street

Why are we demonstrating?

Because the Motion Picture Association of America claims they have the
right to dictate what software runs on your computer in the privacy of
your own house.  Precisely, the Motion Picture Association of America says
that it is illegal to use DeCSS, a free DVD movie player, to watch a movie
on your computer.  Even if you bought and paid for all of the following:

1. the computer hardware

2. the computer software

3. the DVD disk

Indeed, the Motion Picture Association of America claims that if you
rendered sand to slightly impure silicon, wrote the program which compiles
to masks for your cpu, made the chip in your own factory, and assembled
the rest of the hardware out of parts which you bought and paid for, and
then wrote your own DVD movie viewer that runs on an OS coded by you, that
you have no right to use your system to view even a single DVD disk that
you own.

This is analogous to book publishers claiming that books can only be read
by light supplied by them, which light you must buy from a tight
oligopoly, at oligopoly prices.

The Free Software Movement and most of the rest of the world will put a
stop to such outrageous harassment of movie lovers.  But without quick
action now, it may take us a few years to suppress the would be thugs of
the MPAA.  We want the harassment to stop.  And we will stop it as fast as
we can.

We need your help.

Come on down!

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

This announcement may be freely redistributed as long as it reproduced
without change.  Post at will!

<personal>
PS:  I've got a movie I want to show you.
</personal>

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to