[linux-elitists] favicon.ico

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 13 20:42:22 PDT 2000

begin  Heather quotation:

> Well, now that you've got my curiosity up, I'll see if there isn't an
> MSwin .ico plug-in for the Gimp.  Or some other tool for the beasties.

-=More immediately useful=- would be for someone with MSIE 5.0/5.5 to
report back on whether my current favicon.ico "works" in the sense
contemplated.  If so, my interest in the matter ends there, as I have no
reason to care about legacy Microsoft "icon" files of any sort,
generally.

>> (And, no, I do not agree, in as much as I consider Unisys's patent
>> claim legally suspect.  Very.)
>
> My point was that MS has not tried to do anything as stupid as to
> claim their .ico stuff is a critical patent and then try to visit
> smallfry with legalese about messing with it.

_My_ point was that the file mentioned was, according to the information
on hand at the time, a simple and effective way of ensuring that MSIE
5.x users got the desired image shown on the listing for my Web/ftp site
-- one that occupied just about 10)% of the time and effort I felt the
matter warranted.

This reply message raises that expenditure to about 110%.  You perhaps
understand my point.

Meaning no offence, but -- AGAIN; TO REPEAT -- if someone wants to
verify that my current favicon.ico "works", using suitable software that
I have no earthly intention of foisting on otherwise useful computers,
myself, I will be much obliged.  Failing that, if someone will be
willing to create from it a file that qualifies, I would likewise be
obliged.

Otherwise, I have ZERO interest in the internals of Microsoft-specific
graphics formats -- or related side-discussions.  NADA.  Rein du tout.
Got it?

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.