[linux-elitists] favicon.ico

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Jul 13 19:01:53 PDT 2000

> begin  Heather quotation:
>
> >> It was my understanding from readings at the time that that format
> >> _would_ be universally valid as a favicon.ico file.  I have no idea
> >> if this is true, for lack of access to legacy Win32 machines.  If
> >> someone could verify that, it would be useful.
> >
> > Stuff and nonsense, Tucows and Winfiles.Com have scads of legacy toys.
> > Just 'cuz you ain't gonna use their OS doesn't mean you can't use the
> > resulting net of files.
>
> If I read your suggestion correctly, using those files would require
> that I set up a Win32 subsystem on one of my machines.  (I might be
> able to do some work from DOS floppies, but can't do much without FAT
> partitions, of which I have none.)  That's _quite a bit_ too much
> trouble just to work on a favicon.ico file.  I definitely do not have
> that much interest.
>
> On the other hand, if someone else has the necessary tools handy and
> wants to check for me, I'd be obliged.

Well, now that you've got my curiosity up, I'll see if there isn't an
MSwin .ico plug-in for the Gimp.  Or some other tool for the beasties.
If not, well, it needs one.  I'm sure I can force at least a dummy plugin
(for the only form of the format that I needed to crack) - which should
embarass someone with more time and desire into doing the rest of it.

> > Didja know there's an MSwin plus pack theme to K desktop theme converter?
>
> > Ok, now I have to laugh ;)  In our context microsnoot's ICOs are much
> > freer than Unisys' entangled GIFs.
>
> Whatever.  I could not possibly care less.  The point is that my _time_
> and systems are not.
>
> (And, no, I do not agree, in as much as I consider Unisys's patent claim
> legally suspect.  Very.)

My point was that MS has not tried to do anything as stupid as to claim
their .ico stuff is a critical patent and then try to visit smallfry with
legalese about messing with it.

That it's a choice such as we will tend not to be making, well, of course
that's another matter.  I expect to retain such proficiencies as I have, now
that I'm old enough to remember 'em... so I'm perfectly happy that I'll
wield .ico's at the raw bit level when I like, and that you won't waste
your time.

* Heather * Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have
            done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony
            of a decorous age.  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson