[linux-elitists] favicon.ico

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 13 17:09:28 PDT 2000

begin  Heather quotation:

>> It was my understanding from readings at the time that that format
>> _would_ be universally valid as a favicon.ico file.  I have no idea
>> if this is true, for lack of access to legacy Win32 machines.  If
>> someone could verify that, it would be useful.
>
> Stuff and nonsense, Tucows and Winfiles.Com have scads of legacy toys.
> Just 'cuz you ain't gonna use their OS doesn't mean you can't use the
> resulting net of files.

If I read your suggestion correctly, using those files would require
that I set up a Win32 subsystem on one of my machines.  (I might be
able to do some work from DOS floppies, but can't do much without FAT
partitions, of which I have none.)  That's _quite a bit_ too much
trouble just to work on a favicon.ico file.  I definitely do not have
that much interest.

On the other hand, if someone else has the necessary tools handy and
wants to check for me, I'd be obliged.

> Didja know there's an MSwin plus pack theme to K desktop theme converter?

> Ok, now I have to laugh ;)  In our context microsnoot's ICOs are much
> freer than Unisys' entangled GIFs.

Whatever.  I could not possibly care less.  The point is that my _time_
and systems are not.

(And, no, I do not agree, in as much as I consider Unisys's patent claim
legally suspect.  Very.)

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.