[linux-elitists] favicon.ico

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Jul 13 15:56:45 PDT 2000

> begin  Heather quotation:
>
> [favicon.ico in GIF89a_ format]
>
> > He wanted to make sure MSwin lusers using an even older browser could see
> > the comment.  MS' browsers that old didn't tooltip alt tags yet.
>
> It was my understanding from readings at the time that that format
> _would_ be universally valid as a favicon.ico file.  I have no idea if
> this is true, for lack of access to legacy Win32 machines.  If someone
> could verify that, it would be useful.

Stuff and nonsense, Tucows and Winfiles.Com have scads of legacy toys.
Just 'cuz you ain't gonna use their OS doesn't mean you can't use the
resulting net of files.

Didja know there's an MSwin plus pack theme to K desktop theme converter?

> To answer the implied question, no, I don't mind keeping that one
> Unisys-entangled file around.  They can kiss my ass on their legal
> claim, and the favicon.ico matter only warrants a small amount of
> my trouble in the first place.

Ok, now I have to laugh ;)  In our context microsnoot's ICOs are much
freer than Unisys' entangled GIFs.

When I get home I'm gonna find out if animated CUR files show up as animated
in NS/Linux.  A clear replacement for GIF at list for small enough toys,
which is probably about as much animated stuff as someone should havta
put up with anyway.

* Heather * The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
       new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
       -- Isaac Asimov