[linux-elitists] favicon.ico

Paul J Collins sneakums@eircom.net
Thu Jul 13 17:00:14 PDT 2000

    Jeremy> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:26:29 +0000, Paul J Collins wrote:
    >> Supposedly, the stack in Windows 2000 is a rewrite.  Lots of
    >> new bugs, I hope.

    Jeremy> Interesting, hadn't heard that. Also it's worth noting

I recall diary entries on www.windows2000test.com referring to some
work on TCPIP.SYS to stop it blue-screeing.

    Jeremy> that I used nmap's OS detection on my W/ME box, and it
    Jeremy> detected it as W/2K... So perhaps thats using a new one as
    Jeremy> well.

Upgrading one version of Windows to another has never been a good
idea.  A clean install is always the best course of action.

    Jeremy> I've been having MAJOR problems with browsing the LAN in
    Jeremy> W/ME, its eaither its implementation of SMB over IP, or
    Jeremy> explorer.exe, but I'm rebooting even more then I was in 98
    Jeremy> to get around it. I'm tempted to go to add/remove programs

What kind of problems?  Stuff just not appearing in Network
Neighborhood?  If you can't see a machine in NN, does typing
\\machinename in the Run dialog allow you to see its shares?

    Jeremy> and remove Windows Millenium (its listed, since i did an
    Jeremy> upgrade)... but what are the chances of that actually
    Jeremy> working?

The probability of the process completing with a reassuring message is
high.  The chances of everything being hunky-dory after the mandatory
reboot, well...

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD