[linux-elitists] Freeing document _formats_

Paul J Collins sneakums@eircom.net
Tue Jul 11 16:28:58 PDT 2000

    Rick> Paul, FYI, Deirdre is a veteran MacOS (among other things)
    Rick> programmer.  Believe me, you don't need to teach her about
    Rick> those (or any other) Mac file resources.

Rick, I am well aware of that, having read Deirdre's Advogato and home
pages about two months ago.  My remarks, while in reply to Deirdre's
post, were addressed to everyone reading the list, some of whom may or
may be as familiar with Mac OS's filetyping mechanisms.

I was attempting to express an opinion that I hold about the Mac's
file-typing; namely, that while the mechanism is kept hidden from the
user, it is fundamentally the same as any other file-typing system.  I
believe BeOS, for instance, uses MIME-types stores in bfs's extended
attributes for file-typing.  Hidden, but again, much the same; just a
larger, more explicit namespace.

Deirdre, no offence was intended.

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD