[linux-elitists] Freeing document _formats_

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Jul 11 15:39:29 PDT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
>
> [MacOS file typing]
>
> > No, it uses creator codes and filetype codes, which while not very
> > visible to users, are much the same thing.
>
> Paul, FYI, Deirdre is a veteran MacOS (among other things) programmer.
> Believe me, you don't need to teach her about those (or any other)
> Mac file resources.

One of the things I like about the Mac file typing is that you can define
a type (like "text") and a program is supposed to list in its bundle
resources what files it will accept. So, being on that list (or
wildcarded) means, "yeah, I can handle those." Being on that list means
that if one double-clicks a file of that type and the original app isn't
around, it'll display a list of programs that WILL open that file type.

This is so many orders of magnitude more useful than anything I've seen
elsewhere it's not even funny. Except BeOS, which does it based on MIME
type but otherwise the same concept.

"Trust me, I'm a science fiction writer" -- Larry Niven @ Conolulu