[linux-elitists] Freeing document _formats_

Jeremy M. Dolan jmd@turbogeek.org
Mon Jul 10 13:26:31 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:06:20 +0000, Don Marti wrote:
> 3-letter "extensions" are highly silly. What's a .tex? What's a .tfm?
> What's a .tga? (That's just a couple from the Ts) Macintosh four-letter
> file types and creators might work as an index if they're unique.
> file(1) magic names might be good too.

file(1) is comparitivly expensive, and possibly inconsclusive. A hack
job at best. I mean, think of opening a directory with 2000 files in
GMC or EFM. Having to open() and read() each one and caching that
somewhere unless you want to do it every time for the directory is a
problem.

In reality, file name extentions *work*, elite or not. Though,
limiting them to three letters a la DOS 1.0 is bad (ie, '.htm' is just
plain wrong). MacOS's storing the type in the filesystem pronbably
isn't a better alternative. Doesn't mesh too well when other OSes get
involved.

/jmd

--
Jeremy M. Dolan <jmd@turbogeek.org>