[linux-elitists] Freeing document _formats_

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 10 17:22:31 PDT 2000

begin  Rick Moen quotation of Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 03:48:27PM -0700:

> I haven't gone very far with this, but I've been thinking that it's
> about time to launch an assault on proprietary file formats.  And no,
> I don't mean that all such formats are Evil and Must Die.

What kind of elitist are you?

BTW, no match for "FILETYPES.ORG".

> I envision it being broken down by document category (streaming video,
> word processor, page layout, sound, video, spreadsheet, flat database,
> vector graphics,...), listing the common formats for each, problems of
> each, strengths, convertability, multivendor support / sufficiency of
> format documentation that is freely available.

Humble suggestion: organize by MIME type.

No match for "MIMETYPES.ORG".

> Each category should also highlight the leading format that meets some
> minimal standard of free-ness, if there is one.  If there isn't one,
> we can link to the best known effort to create one.  (E.g., Frank
> Lamonica mentioned to me in passing some effort to create a truly free
> streaming-video format.)

Maybe "recommended replacements" links in each non-recommended format.

Do the video efforts by xiph.org amount to anything?  Ogg Vorbis is kewl
so they must be smart.

I can contribute some entries in the graphics section.  I've gotten
enough questions about graphics formats running Burn All GIFs that I
can do most of the common ones.

Speaking of Evil and Must Die, oreillynet.com carries Doubleclick ads.

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to