[linux-elitists] I hold you all responsible.... (PC enclosure query)

Jason Wright peewee@scc.mi.org
Sat Jul 8 13:15:55 PDT 2000

I'm trying to build a 'leet Debian box to replace my reliable yet gently
aging (and oh so proprietary) Solaris server.

I don't remember who and I don't quite remember when and I'm too lazy to
hunt the guilty party down in the archives, but some elitist mentioned
Cooler Master PC cases.  As a result, I've fixated on their atc-400
rack mount case:  http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc/atc400.html .
Specifically, I've fixated on the parts that say "5.25'' Bays (exposed)
x 8" and "best thermal performance with minimum noise".

My question is, does anyone know where to *get* these things without
ordering overseas?  Cooler Master's website lists no authorized
distributors in the Americas.  I spent a bit time last night trying to
find an outfit online that'll take my money in exchange for one, but
with no luck.  I thought that I'd ask here before I started spamming
retailers, since this is all your fault anyways.

My second choice right now is the PC Power and Computing Chrome full
tower, but Don already has one of those and I don't know about the rest
of you, but in my book, "someone I know has one" is a definite no-no when
maximizing 'leetness in hardware.  Besides, I'm trying to consolidate
my equipment into a rack, but that's really the secondary concern....

Failing all of that, can anyone suggest a 19" rack mount server case
which:

   has 7+ exposed drive bays (six drives, one cdrom)
   can cool a dual PIII plus six 10000rpm IBM SCSI drives
   doesn't sound like an airplane taking off *before* i put the drives in

Antec has some stuff that looks interesting, but nothing that seems
to exactly fit my needs.  From my interpretation of their specs
(http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/rac_spec.html), I'd need to add
an ipc-3446 disk chassis to one of their 2u cases in order to get enough
drive bays, exposed or otherwise.  I'll take the full tower over two
separate pieces of hardware.

And, in case you're wondering, I want the drive bays exposed because I
have a fetish for das blinkenlights.  The bays can be internal if the
case provides activity LEDs for each individual spindle.  This is clearly a
case of form over function.

PeeWee

--
email: peewee@scc.mi.org - useless: http://www.scc.mi.org/peewee/ -  efnet: Pwe
I said you were a state of mind, I believe. I said that if you ran very swiftly