[linux-elitists] Sick of doubleclick.net yet?

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Jul 6 21:37:46 PDT 2000

> begin  Heather quotation of Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:55:23AM -0700:
>
> > As a particular advantage, the layout tends to remain as the web artist
> > intended,
>
> Usually not an advantage.  Pixel-pushing graphic designers will be second
> against the wall when the Revolution comes (after Marketing.)

Ok, if there are enough ads to be fussing all this over, we probably don't
give a rats ass what the web artist intended, but it still makes it a little
easier to find the only fragment of content in the page.

> > As an elitist amusement, sometimes
> > the replaced ads are not of banner size, but they forget to declare.
>
> Forget, or deliberately fail to include height and width attributes
> so that the page won't render until the image downloads?

No, the usual way to do that is to have a miscoded table.  Until the table's
closed NS won't finish the math :(  Not exactly image dependent either; the
whole damn js laced page has to download.

If one really must do js, at least keep it in an externel script, so it
doesn't have to ship to folks who do better without.

> > But the perl script Don Marti whipped up in ages past, to eat graphics
> > of the advertisement preferred sizes, is pretty good.  Of course you'll
> > find you're missing my site's secondary header bars, since I used my
> > "banner" to the purposes of good...
>
> Oh, well.  That script replaced "bad" images with their alt text, IIRC.

Good, then you'd actually see it in the H2 heading, and be able to click it
to go to the big home page :)

* Heather * No two persons ever read the same book. -- Edmund Wilson