[linux-elitists] doubleclick.net cookies for all!

Mon Jul 3 14:02:52 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 01:04:13PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin  kmself@ix.netcom.com quotation of Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 12:24:17PM -0700:
>
> > The two halves lets him nest text under what would otherwise be part of
> > the image, under a graphical browser.  I suppose a background image
> > (ugh) or CSS (double-ugh) might work as well.
>
> Hey, I have CSS on that page ( http://zgp.org/rbhl/ )

CSS doesn't work under Netscape with Javascript disabled.  I haven't
decided whether or not this is a bug or a feature, however, upshot is
that CSS don't do much for me, that's the main reason for double-ugh.

> YA new version of the Python cookie-snarfer at:
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/warez/getid.py

[karsten@navel:Download]$ ./getid.py.1
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:20 2000.
#  10.1
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:20 2000.
#  10.2
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:21 2000.
#  10.3
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:22 2000.
#  10.4
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:23 2000.
#  10.5
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:23 2000.
#  10.6
# bad or missing Cookie: header Mon Jul  3 20:44:24 2000.
#  10.7

> Here's a question for those of you who know Real Computer Science(tm)
> How should the script adjust its sleep time between HTTP requests
> to maximize cookies/hour?   Maybe keep a list of the last n delays
> that resulted in successfully getting a cookie, and choose the median?
> The way it adjusts sleep time now is bad, I think.

Binary search through the delay space.  Start at some random delay, say
1 second.  Then binary search through space until you hit on ideal
delay.  Assuming 10 seconds is ideal, and a '*' indicates successful
interval:

  1
  2
  4
  8
  16 *  (works)
  12 *
  10 *
  9
  10 *

...you could set the timeslice to 0.1 seconds if you preferred, allowing
for slightly finer grain.

> And for those of you who know Python, any suggestions on proper error
> reporting to diagnose Karsten's "no cookies" issue?

Dumb question -- does the Python httplib respect the HTTP_PROXY
environment variable?

I seem to be getting a different set of errors from earlier versions of
the program now.