[linux-elitists] doubleclick.net cookies for all!

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Jul 3 12:19:45 PDT 2000

> So, I woke up this morning and wondered "how am I going to fuck
> with Doubleclick today?"  Thinking of Mojo Nixon and his "foo-foo
> haircut" I decided that I, Don Marti, would get a doubleclick.net
> cookie.
>
> So I pointed my copy of lynx at one of their banner ads and this
> is what I got:
>
> $ lynx -head -source http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/homepgtable.av.com/fullbanner;sz=468x60;ord=1933827584?
> HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 16:56:34 GMT
> Location: http://m.doubleclick.net/viewad/380992-music_banner_09baa4.gif
> Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, no-cache
> Set-Cookie: id=A; path=/; domain=.doubleclick.net; expires=Wed, 09-Nov-2030 23:59:00 GMT
>
> Holy Shit! My doubleclick.net id is "A". That's like getting the
> license plate "1" (which the Governor gets in most states, I think).
> I'll keep that cookie. Let's try it again, though, just to get a regular
> peon cookie to throw away.
>
> $ lynx -head -source http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/homepgtable.av.com/fullbanner;sz=468x60;ord=1933827584?
> HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 16:59:33 GMT
> Location: http://m.doubleclick.net/viewad/380992-music_banner_09baa5.gif
> Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, no-cache
> Set-Cookie: id=A; path=/; domain=.doubleclick.net; expires=Wed, 09-Nov-2030 23:59:00 GMT
>
> Damn. They're giving the "A" out to everyone. Hmmm. There must be a
> reason for it. I have a hypothesis. What if real ids are expensive for
> them to generate. Maybe they have to make a whole new record in their
> database, with space for your dental records, iris scan, anal probe
> data, and credit history. So it makes sense that they aren't cooking up
> a new id every tenth of a second for anyone who knows lynx and while.
> They want to know that you'll accept a cookie before they generate
> an id.

Maybe they're merely making an effort to not track web spiders, most of
whom still claim to be lynx, in an effort to see real pages instead of
keyword spam.  (result: it's less common than it used to be but sometimes,
a lynx visitor sees nothing but search spam!)

In NS I normally live in deny cookie mode, unless I'm feeling ornery,
then I track all of em and enjoy knowing which sites to leave forever
because they blast me 18 times with a "first cookie" request when I blow
them off.  One for each ad.  Don't forget to delete your cookie files
regularly.

* Heather * "Being disintegrated makes me ve-ry an-gry!" <huff, huff>
	:)