[linux-elitists] index-linux.com

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun Jan 9 22:35:39 PST 2000

Over the next few days, I will be putting up the pages for the Linux
Index, following in the footsteps of the Dilbert Index and other like
things. It will, of course, be a stock index of Linux-related companies
that will track how the Linux industry as a whole is doing.

I'm particularly fond of the Ratbert index. :)

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/financial/index.html

I'm intending on breaking the index into three chunks (which may mean
several separate indexes):

1) Core Linux Businesses: VA, Red Hat, Cobalt and others who make all
(or nearly all) their $ from Linux. This one's the easiest category as
it's relatively small.

2) Linux hardware and software vendors: Dell, Tivo, Sun, IBM, Oracle.

3) Infrastructure companies: those companies who USE Linux to form their
core infrastructure. Companies like Burlington Coat Factory. I think Cisco
would qualify as well.

Thoughts? Flames? Comments? Anyone want to be a part of the research arm
to determine who goes in what category?

For the moment, I am limiting the categories to those who trade on the US
exchanges (NYSE et al).

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator