[linux-elitists] Proposed letter to Linux Weekly News

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 29 17:31:39 PST 2000

Quoting Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly (dmarti@zgp.org):

> There is no "too harsh" for a co. that puts moronquotes in a
> press release on a Linux site.
> http://tripwire.sourceforge.net/
>
> However, they haven't ruled out the GPL:
> http://www.tripwire.org/faq.html

You refer to this:

   One of the most widely accepted licenses for open source software has
   been GNU GPL. We are actively exploring the use of this license as it
   ensures that the enhancements to the source are shared with all users.

However, this part makes _genuine_ open-source licencing vanishingly
unlikely:

   There are currently no plans to make open source any of the
   other UNIX versions or the Windows NT version of Tripwire.

Clearly, code under an OSD-compliant licence is freely portable to
any OS one is able and willing to code to.  At best, I don't think
they've thought this through -- and, when they do, I predict they'll go
with some SCSL-like abortion.

However, thanks:  I'll at a minimum revise my letter to take into
account the FAQ's contents.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com  modern-American-English-usage-improvement association