[linux-elitists] Web advertisers -- sneakier than I thought.

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Feb 28 20:59:24 PST 2000

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 06:55:12PM -0800, Heather wrote:

> Don't even have to go that far, just stuff the lot of 'em in /etc/hosts
> as localdomain pointers into the bit bucket: 127.0.0.2   No services
> necessary.  I decided to play an extra trick for fun, but really.

The problem is that some of the domains have a lot of different hostnames.
Better to make your box authoritative for weasels.com than create hostnames
for ad0.weasels.com through ad666.weasels.com

But whatever you do to block banner ads isn't optional any more.

--
Don Marti                 Burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/
dmarti@zgp.org                 Linux rules: http://srom.zgp.org/