[linux-elitists] Web advertisers -- sneakier than I thought.

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Feb 28 18:55:12 PST 2000

> If you aren't doing some kind of web ad blocking, please see
> Richard M. Smith's pages at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/
>
> You might be especially interested in the Web Bugs FAQ at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/privacy/wbfaq.htm
>
> It turns out that some companies are including 1x1 transparent
> GIFs from the web ad agencies on some pages, so you can
> be tracked on pages where there's no visible ad.

Rude!

> Example: http://www.fedex.com/us/tracking/  -- FedEx's package
> tracking page.  (Who's tracking who?)
>
> Please implement some kind of banner blocking -- whether it's
> Junkbuster, my "webclean" config file for Apache proxy,
> Squid, or just making your name server authoritative for
> the domain names of the big web advertising agencies.

Don't even have to go that far, just stuff the lot of 'em in /etc/hosts
as localdomain pointers into the bit bucket: 127.0.0.2   No services
necessary.  I decided to play an extra trick for fun, but really.

Anytime I spot a new one and it ONLY does marcom for a living,
*pif* it's gone forever.

* Heather