[linux-elitists] Mixing character sets in web pages

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Feb 28 18:07:05 PST 2000

> Can current browsers without Unicode support nonetheless support mixing
> (say) iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-2 characters in the same HTML document?  If
> so, how?

I don't know, I hadn't thought of it, but... did you check on the Lynx
mailing list?  It supports Unicode now but it didn't once upon a time,
and maybe the solution is in there.

> My girlfriend's professor has had both French and Croatian graduate
> students, and listed them on her home page, without appropriate accents
> in their names.  French is written in 8859-1, Croatian in 8859-2.  What
> to do?  (Some of the French accents needed are definitely not in 8859-1,
> and none of the Croatian accents are in 8859-2.)
>
> I experimented with this for several days, and learned to write HTML in
> various ISO character sets, but never found a solution.

I saw something about a lang= attribute but I believe it relates to Unicode.

> Is there a correct non-Unicode solution which will be supported in
> popular web browsers in the future?

Lynx has been sticking pretty fairly to standards, I can only think of
one lynx-ism that most browsers don't honor.  Not that they couldn't, but
Lynx accepts a setting for who to send a comment to.

* Heather