[linux-elitists] Web advertisers -- sneakier than I thought.

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Feb 28 17:42:44 PST 2000

If you aren't doing some kind of web ad blocking, please see
Richard M. Smith's pages at:
http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/

You might be especially interested in the Web Bugs FAQ at:
http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/privacy/wbfaq.htm

It turns out that some companies are including 1x1 transparent
GIFs from the web ad agencies on some pages, so you can
be tracked on pages where there's no visible ad.

Example: http://www.fedex.com/us/tracking/  -- FedEx's package
tracking page.  (Who's tracking who?)

Please implement some kind of banner blocking -- whether it's
Junkbuster, my "webclean" config file for Apache proxy,
Squid, or just making your name server authoritative for
the domain names of the big web advertising agencies.

--
Don Marti                 Burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/
dmarti@zgp.org                 Linux rules: http://srom.zgp.org/